O-Farms Accelerator Program
Closing The Food System Loop in Kenya
O-Farms is an African SME accelerator completely focused on circular agribusiness with the goal of making circularity a mainstream approach for improved rural livelihoods and sustainability. It is an initiative funded by the IKEA Foundation to help scale circular agribusiness innovations in East Africa.
O-Farms, led by Bopinc and Village Capital, is focused on accelerating the next generation of innovative circular agribusinesses in Kenya and Uganda. Agri-circularity creates a more sustainable food system that drives innovation through developing innovative business models that reduce agricultural losses thereby creating new economic opportunities and jobs in the region. In this regard, Kenya is able to sustainably feed its growing population, without depleting the natural resources. In doing so, O-Farms will build innovation support infrastructure that enables circular agribusiness to grow and develop.
In Kenya, E4Impact Accelerator is implementing the O-Farm’s Accelerator Program targeted to Agri-circular SMEs, with the aim to support them to refine their innovations, strengthen their business models, access financing opportunities and create a founding community advocating for better adoption of a circular economy and supportive policies & legislation.
What is Circular Agribusiness?
A circular agribusiness uses either food losses (avoidable waste from Agri-processing, e.g. Rejected tomatoes, spoilt milk, rejected bananas) and/or By-products (unavoidable waste from Agri-processing e.g. Rice husks, Orange leftover peels, Cashew apples) to produce new agri-food products.
For the second cohort, up to 10 enterprises will be selected to join the program. The enterprises can expect to receive the following benefits:
- Customized training program on agri-circularity business
- Technical Assistance to embed circularity principles in the business model including strengthening the systems and processes.
- Coaching and Mentorship – personalized and group coaching to unpack training into business implementation
- Links to financial and investment opportunities
- Networking and peer learning to strengthen innovations and build a community of best practices in agri-circularity.
- 2 peer-selected SMEs will receive milestone based grant funding of upto Euro 25,000 to implement identified milestones.
- Networking opportunities to showcase your solution and meet with investors and other stakeholders.
Agri-circularity creates a more sustainable food system that drives innovation through developing innovative business models that reduce agricultural losses thereby creating new economic opportunities and jobs in the region. In this regard, Kenya is able to sustainably feed its growing population, without depleting the natural resources. In doing so, O-Farms will build innovation support infrastructure that enables circular agribusiness to grow and develop.
HOW TO APPLY
The call for applications is open till 30th September 2022 Midnight EAT.
NB: Only online application will be reviewed and accepted.
Any queries? Please send an email to email@example.com
The program is funded by Ikea Foundation and is partnered with Villcarp and Bopinc. It is implemented by E4Impact Accelerator in Nairobi- Kenya.
It is a 6 month program with a 3 month mentorship bootcamp for all the 10 selected enterprises and a number of enterprises will be selected to receive technical assistance from Bopinc.
The first cohort of the program ran between October 2021 and March 2022. The second cohort will run between January – June 2023.
Yes, only enterprises registered in Kenya and those that have at least one Kenyan co-founder is eligible to apply for this program.
Enterprises that have an established customer base and already generating revenue (post –revenue).
O-Farms is looking for enterprises that are creating new Agri-products in the hierarchy below:
- Human food (e.g. turning rejected tomatoes into ketchup)
- Animal feed (e.g. using orange peels)
- Biodegradable packaging for the food industry (e.g. using Pineapple crowns)
- Compost/organic fertilizers (e.g. using rice husks)
- Bio-energy for agri-processing (e.g. using agri-processing waste)
Successful enterprises will receive customized capacity building on Agri-circularity business principles and investment readiness, provide access to coaching & mentorship, linkages to markets and investments, and opportunity to win peer to peer awarded milestone grants for the 2 selected enterprises (total of €50,000).
To apply, fill in the online application form and attach the relevant documents here:
Before completing your application form, make sure that you:
- Familiarize yourself with the O-Farms program requirements and the eligibility criteria and make sure you clearly address them in your entry form.
The deadline to apply is Wednesday, 30th September 2022 at 12 Midnight EAT
Yes, once you create an account on the Accelerator App, you can begin your application and come back at a later time.
Yes it is. Any information provided in the application will be held in full confidence as we comply with GDPR.